Criminal Enforcement : Bad Checks

Local merchants and private individuals in receipt of checks, returned for insufficient funds or on a closed account, are provided direction and assistance for collection. In the event payment is not received after notice, the case may be referred to a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the filing of criminal charges.

Filing A Report

  1. 1. Make personal contact with the check writer; if you are unsuccessful, send a statutory notice. The check writer has 10 days to respond and remit payment.
  2. 2. Fill out the bad check complaint form, attach originals (you retain photocopies) of all checks and notification documents, such as return receipts nd bank notices and bring to our office.