How to Make a Payment

Cash Payments:

Cash payments can be made in the county clerk's office in the county where the support order was entered. Other payments options are as follows:

Mail In Payments:

Money orders and personal checks should be sent to the following address. Please do not send cash through the mail. Be sure to include with your payment: case number, your name, and the name of the other parent in the case. Payments may be mailed to:

P.O. Box 7130
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7130

Paying by Check to the State Central Collection Unit:

Checks should be made payable to "Indiana State Central Collection Unit". Also, please indicate on the check the ISETS case number identifier and the employee´s/obligor´s social security number.

Paying by Telephone:

Dial 1-855-972-9427. Press 1 to talk to a Live Operator, and then Press 2 to make the child support payment. The payee will need to inform the operator that they want to make an Indiana child support payment, and provide their social security number, 10 digit Indiana child support case number (including leading zeros), payment amount, and the credit or debit card information, as well as their telephone number. These payments are also assessed a 2.25% convenience fee.

Electronic Payments

Employers with more than 50 employees and more than one employee/obligor are required by I.C.  §31-16-15-16 to process child support payments electronically. For more information regarding electronic paying please log on to and follow the Free Online Payment Processing link. Additionally, the Child Support Bureau may be reached via telephone at (317) 232-0327 or 1-800-292-0403 for questions pertaining to electronic payments.

The Clerk's Office in the county where your court order was entered can provide you with a record of your child support payments. If you have questions about the status of a child support payment not made at the clerk's office, you may call the Indiana Kids Line at 1-800-840-8757

Payment Info for Employers

Remittance Form

Employers who send  employee/obligor withholding payments by check must also submit and Employee Remittance Coupon. The Employer Remittance Coupon is available at

Multiple Support Withholdings:

If more than one Order or Notice exists against the employee/obligor and you are unable to honor all support Orders or Notices due to federal or state withholdings limits, you must follow the state law procedure of the employee’s/obligor’s principal place of employment according to the following:

1.  Add together all of the non-custodial parent´s current support amounts and then separately, add together the arrearage amounts.


Sue Doe v. Tom Doe, $75 current plus $25 on the arrearage.

Mae Jones v. Tom Doe, $65 current plus $15 on the arrearage.

Jane Smith v. Tom Doe, $90 current plus $20 on the arrearage.

Total: $220 current; $60 arrearage.

2.  Separately, determine the percentage each order amount is of the total dollar amount of the combined support orders, for current orders and arrearage orders.


Current Orders Arrearage Orders
Total amount of Mr. Doe´s 3 orders= $220  Total amount of 3 orders= $60
Sue Doe v. Tom Doe ($75 divided by $220=.34) 34%  $25 divided by $60= 42%
Mae Jones v. Tom Doe ($65 divided by $220=.296) 30% $15 divided by $60= 25%
Jane Smith v. Tom Doe ($80 divided by $220=.363) 36% $20 divided by $60= 33%

3.  If the non-custodial parent´s disposable income is $310.00 and the amount that may be deducted for child support is 55%, pursuant to the CCPA limitations, the amount available to pro-rate is $170.00.

4.  Important: When allocating on a pro-rate basis, the current obligations must be withheld first.

5.  To calculate the correct pro-rated dollar amounts, multiply the amount calculated to be available for proration ($170) by the calculated percentage applicable for each order.


Current Support 

Sue Doe v. Tom Doe  $170 x .34= $57.80 
Mae Jones v. Tom Doe $170 x .30= $51.00 
Jane Smith v. Tom Doe  $170 x .36= $61.20



Since the amount subject to proration was not enough to satisfy all current obligations, there is nothing available to apply to the prorated percentages for the arrearage orders.

Source: State of Indiana Family & Social Services Administration

Income Withholding Orders for Independent/Sub-Contractors

If you employ an independent/sub-contractor, Indiana law requires you to withhold child support from the wages of the obligor regardless of whether he/she is an independent/sub-contractor.

Indiana Code §31-16-15-7.5 sets forth your duties as an Income Payor.  Indiana Code §31-18-1-7 defines an Income Payor as "an employer or other person who owes income to an obligor."  Income is defined by Indiana Code §31-18-1-6 as "anything of value owed to an obligor."

According to the aforementioned statutes, if you employ an independent/sub-contractor, you are an Income Payor, and any obligor who owes child support and receives anything of value from you subjects you to the jurisdiction of the law regarding income withholding orders. There does not have to be a traditional employee/employer relationship for this law to apply.

Indiana Code §31-16-15-23 sets forth the liability of Income Payors who fail to withhold income.  Specifically, if an Income Payor fails to forward the money required to be withheld by an income withholding order, the Income Payor can be held liable for the amount the Income Payor failed to forward.

Additionally, Indiana Code §31-16-15-25 provides penalties if an Income Payor discharges from employment an obligor, refuses to employ an obligor, takes disciplinary action against an obligor, or otherwise discrimnates against an obligor because of the existence of, or duties imposed by, the income withholding order. The Income Payor is subject to a penalty not to exceed $5,000 payable to the State of Indiana if the Income Payor engages in the aforementioned conduct. There also exists legal remedies available to the obligor.

Instructions for Computing the Amount of Child Support Withheld from an Obligor´s Income when Taxes are not Withheld from that Income

What if the income withholding order received by the Income Payor is for an individual who is an "independent contractor for whom taxes are not deducted when the income payor compensates the obligor for obligor´s services?"

Normally, per federal and state requirements governing income withholding for child support, the amount employers withhold is calculated by:

  • For the pay period in question, from gross pay deduct all taxes (state, federal, and local)
    which = "disposable income for child support".
  • Multiply the "disposable income" by the percentage limiter (may be 50%, 55%, 60%, or 65%) indicated in the first paragraph of "Remittance Information" on the standard income withholding order.
  • Compare the dollar amount result to the obligor´s ordered amount for the time period.  Whichever amount is smallest is the amount to be withheld.

However, in the case of pay to an independent contractor where NO taxes are withheld, the Child Support Bureau has always suggested to Income Payors as a policy that in order to conduct the above outlined steps, and in order to express fairness to the obligor, the income payor assume taxes of 20% for step 1 and then proceed to steps 2 and 3. For example:

  • Business (Income Payor) receives an income withholding order for an independent contractor (non-custodial parent obligor) to whom they are issuing a check for $400.00. The obligor´s support order is $100/wk + $20/wk for arrears with an indicated percentage limiter of 55%.  Assumption of 20% taxes on gross pay = $40.00.
  • $400.00 - $40.00 = disposable income of $360.00.  $360.00 x 55% = $198.00.
  • The lesser amount as between the weekly order of $120.00 and the 55% amount of $198.00 is $120.00.  Therefore, the full income withholding amount can be withheld.

Contrarily, if the gross payment of $400.00 had been for a two-week period, then the calculation would be as follows:

  • Assumption of 20% taxes = $40.00.
  • $400.00 - $40.00 = disposable income of $360.00.  $360.00 x 55% = $198.00.
  • The lesser amount as between the bi-weekly order of $240.00 and the 55% amount of $198.00 is in this particular instance, $198.00.  THEREFORE, the full income withholding order amount cannot be withheld - the lesser amount to be withheld is the percentage limiter amount of $198.00.

Withholding Limits

For state orders, you may not withhold more than the lesser of:

  1. The amounts allowed by the Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1673(b)); or
  2. The amounts allowed by the state of the employee´s/obligor´s principal place of employment.  The federal limit applies to the aggregate disposable weekly earnings (ADWE).  ADWE is the net income left after making mandatory deductions such as: state taxes, federal taxes, local taxes, Social Security taxes, statutory pension contributions, and Medicare taxes.  The Federal CCPA limit is 50% of the ADWE for child support and alimony, which is increased by (1) 10% if the employee does not support a second family; and/or (2) 5% if arrears are greater than 12 weeks.

Additional information: the employer may retain a $2.00 fee from the income payee´s income each time withheld income is forward.  The sum total of the amount to be withheld plus this fee shall not exceed the maximum amount permitted under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Termination Notification:

You must promptly notify the Child Support Division when the employee/obligor no longer is employed by you. Please proved the following information to our office:

  • Name of the employer
  • Name of the employee/obligor
  • Case identifier
  • Date of separation from employment and reasoning (i.e., employee was terminated, voluntarily quit, etc.)
  • Employee/obligor´s last known home address
  • Employee/obligor´s new employer/address